I know Spotify Wrapped happens at the beginning of December (and stops collecting data earlier), but I wanted to get my top played songs for all* of 2021.
The most surprising thing to me this year was “Paralyzed” taking #1 by a decent margin—I know I was really into it for a bit, but I did not realize by how much. #2 was less surprising, with Abigail Thorn making it my “good vibes” song of the year since introducing me to it at the end of January. #3 and the general presence of Inside in the top 10 is also not so surprising. “White Rabbit” making the top 100 is not surprising, but with The Matrix: Resurrections so late in the year, I am surprised it made it to #4!
Other miscellaneous observations include:
- I think I expected more mashups to make the top 100.
- If you know the names of the opening and credits songs, you can guess I watched The Tatami Galaxy this year.
- I did also rewatch Promare this year, but “Inferno” and “Kakusei” would have made the top 25 regardless.
- “Montero” would absolutely have ranked higher if the playthroughs from March 2021 had not been lost.
- There is no good way to automate generating alt text for these screenshots.
(*A lot of data from October 2020-August 2021 did not make it to the final database, but this is as complete a top 100 as I can get.)